Monday, October 29, 2007

Avoid Clichés Like the Plague

From Rome we went back to Florence, because of what I mentioned earlier, we didn't get to see the David, or any other museum. I shouldn't complain about luck, we have been lucky, but the on day we came back was the day the museums went on strike! ARRGH, I was pretty mad to say the least, Jack almost bought me a gelato to make me feel better. We went up the Duomo anyways to get a nice view, which was the most stairs we've climbed to date, 463, and it was tight! By the time we got back down to the ground the strike for the museum with the statue of David was over. We got in and it was quite worth the trip back, it was huge and difficult to describe. It was easy to see why its so famous though, it makes every sculpture I've ever seen look worse. I snuck a picture in, no flash, no harm done ;). Unfortunately afterwards the other museum never reopened, so that was it for Florence.

We took the second night train of the trip that night, and some Australians that we met scared us by telling a story about their friends who were gassed in the night and had everything stolen! that didn't happen to us, it was the worst sleep ever though. The seats weren't adjustable and there was no leg room. Not to mention the beautiful timing of the ticket checker.

Nice was nice I would say, since we arrived late we hadn't showered yet, it took a French shower and realised calling it a french shower was a faux-pas. It actually was a very pretty city, and we got a perfect day for it, it was warm enough to take a dip in the Mediterranean. There weren't many others swimming, the water was cold enough to frighten a turtle (it was cold). I really like being in a non-english country where i could understand what people were saying. They still spoke to me in english even when I tried my french out. I'll get more attempts when we come back to France. Nice was just a stop spot en route to Barcelona (it would have been 24 hrs in a train!)

Spain here we come

No comments: