Sunday, November 11, 2007

Parlez-Vous Anglais?

Like in Spain where I seemed learn more about Americans than the Spanish, in France I learned more about Canadians than the French. We went to Vimy Ridge and to Juno Beach, both of which have much Canadian history. Unfortunately at Juno we didn't get to take a tour, by the time we arrived there we had missed the last one. We did however get to go around the museum and learn lots about Canadians and there imput in World War II. After going through the museum I was even more proud to be Canadian than I already was. Vimy Ridge gave me a Similar feeling except this time it was about WWI. We were able to get a Tour at Vimy, which was guided by Canadians. Our particular tour guide even knew some people we knew from Milton. Small world. It was great because the tour was free and they were very informative, they seemed to go out of there way to teach us whatever we wanted to know. At first it was hard to understand why Vimy ridge was such a strategic position, while walking up the hill it seemed to barely have an incline. Once we got to the top we realised that it wasn't actually such a strong position for the Germans to have, just very weak for them not to have. The memorial was huge and impressive, with names of 11285 people who were never found and therefor have no grave. I was really glad we went there, we learned and got to pay respects so close to Rememberance Day.

As for the rest our our France time, we did hit the usual suspects; Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower and the Louvre. We didn't get to go to D'Orsay though, I would have liked to see a little more art. We had our French experiences as well, eating lots of crepes, which were enjoyable and addicting, and we went to a Cafe and watched the outside world continue about its business. I got to use my french a little bit, but usually they would speak english back to me, it was a little disapointing, I wanted to practice a bit.

We went to Versailles aswell, and checked out the Palace after waiting hours in the line. Atleast we got some reading done. Kings and Queens have espensive taste, if you can imagine. It was a huge waste though, spending for the sake of spending. Pretty much everything was gold, and if not then it was a priceles peice of art. I'm not sure but I dont think the Kings bed was kingsize I think I enjoyed the massive garden in the 'backyard' the most. The day wasnt great for pictures but it was still pretty impressive. It was funny, we seemed to be eating McDonalds all the time in France, we didnt have a choice unless we wanted to spend more than our budget allowed. It was not a healthy couple of days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh
Great to hear you visited so many interesting places all of those I saw too except Vimy Ridge. I was disappointed to learn that you didn't use your French as much as you hoped.
So looking forward to your pictures!
Almost your birthday!
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that having visited Juno Beach and Vimy Ridge, Remembrance Days in the future will be more meaningful for you. Interesting that you had a Canadian tour guide. Enjoy your last week.
Love,
Jack's Mom

chris said...

Love your post's Josh! Haha, did you know that when I went to Juno beach, I got bit by a dog? True story!
Anyways, amazing that you are hitting all of those places... It must be overwhelming to see so many important historical things, one after another.. You might need months back in Canada looking at your pictures and your words just to compile your thoughts on all you have seen. But I also like your thoughts in progress.. Keep posting man - this is great to read!