Wednesday, September 26, 2007

No Other Way

I didnt really know what I was getting into going to Norway, I didnt really know what we were going to see. But I wouldnt be able to do it any differently. We had our first over nighter train into Norway, this was after a flight from dublin to Oslo. Oslo seemed boring and we didn't hear of anything much to do. I'm glad we didnt stay. Our train ride was pretty good actually, we got to save a night on hostel bills, and did traveling that we would have to do anyways. We arrived exhausted though because we didnt sleep that well, and our hostel for the next night wasn't even open so we couldn't drop off our stuff. But we eventually made it. Our first day in Bergin, we didnt do a whole lot, just walking around and exploring the city, even had a little nap. Later in the day, with the help of a Bergin tourist information staff, we found a way to take a fjord tour, with using our eurail passes. saved us quite a bit of money. We went to a decent place to eat, which was cheap aswell (relatively speaking, Norway is one if not the most expensive place to live in europe). I had fish, which i assumed to be fresh because there were tons on fishing boats in the harbour. I got up the next morning not really knowing what to expect. A fjord is basically a river, I'd just learned that. It was even more beautiful than Ireland was. These 1.6 kilometer high mountains shot straight up right beside the water, and right beside our ferry. It was incredible, but it got better, we had an hour train ride that is said to be the best train ride in europe, and as far as I could tell, I would have to agree. The train took us right through the mountains, with waterfalls everywhere you look, huge rock faced cliffs and valleys with just a few houses in it. We would come out of a tunnel to an even more amazing view than the last valley. Then we were able to use our eurail pass to get back to bergen. I'm really glad we did it. We even climbed the mountain right next to bergen the next morning.

I had also expect more of a language barrier in Norway, everyone there seemed to speak pretty good (well). They were also very friendly, one guy went out of his way to help us find our hostel. I was half-expecting him to take us to a dark alley and rob us, but he just invited us to the cafe he worked at for a coffee or beer, and that was it(we never did end up going). It was really great there, the only downsides were its prices and the weather. One canadian dollar was about 6 Norwegen Krones. An average dinner there was about 200 krones, we did feel rich carrying around over a thousand krones tho... but felt very poor after we stayed there. Statiscally it rains about 270 times a year, it rained all four days of our stay.
We headed to Olso after, and that was it for Norway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh
Wow I wish I could be there too, Makes me want to travel even more, I have to work on Pop.
Thanks again for your blog!
Love Mom
XOXO

Anonymous said...

I's so jealous! I want to tour Europe! Everywhere sounds so interesting and different! Better then boring school. :S You should definitly come home soon though, there are kool things to visit here in Ottawa and you should hurry cuz they will soon be gone!!! I went somewhere kool today! The Papinace Zoo. It closes after thanksgiving so you don't have much time.
Love you!
Sylvie